Welcome to the Austin Community College American Federation of Teachers Local 6249 (ACC/AFT) website.
We are affiliated with the national
American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and the state organization, Texas AFT. We organized in 1999 and have members from all classifications of non-administrative ACC employees: Classified, Prof-Tech, Adjunct, Hourly and Full Time Faculty. We are separate from the employee associations at ACC and are therefore free to pursue our goals without administrative influence.
We are dedicated to improving the salaries and health insurance of all employees, including protecting the rights of all ACC employees. Building a large and strong membership is the key to these endeavors. Please join us today!
If you would like representation for grievances and access to our Legal Defense Fund and Labor Attorney, you MUST become a member now, before your problem begins. Click on "How to Join" to fill out a membership form. New members will receive their first 3 months free!!!
3000 S. I-H 35, Ste. 175 ---Austin, TX 78704
Phone: (512)448-0130 ---Fax: (512)448-0678
Questions about ACC/AFT may be addressed to Dan Dewberry <email@example.com>.
Questions about this website may be addressed to Derek Thomas <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Why Join ACCAFT?
- Our grievance committee has successfully defended many union members, including re-instating fired employees who received all back pay (plus we get paychecks corrected, licenses back, fight racism and sexism, and MUCH more). Employees must join ACCAFT before their situation arises so they have access to the Legal defense Fund and our attorney. The employee associations do not provide this function.
- We led an ACC Lobby Day at the Legislature, garnering support for Adjunct Faculty health benefits, TRS funding, and Texas community college funding. TexasAFT lobbyists support all issues that benefit ACC employees. Adjunct Faculty can now purchase health insurance through the College. This was impossible before ACCAFT lobbied the State Legislature. More details here.
- We lobbied the Legislature to pass a bill that allows Adjunct Faculty who have taught 15 LEH in the fall and spring semesters (7.5 or more in each) to buy back those years in the TRS pension plan. Prior to this, the most-used Adjuncts had no choice but to invest in the ACC Money Purchase Plan. More details here.
- We were at the forefront in pushing the College to fund Environmental Health & Safety. Many changes have been made that benefit employee & student health since the Union began pressing these issues.
- We organize the fight for SS Fairness. Some employees cannot retire b/c they are invested in TRS & SS. AFT, TexasAFT, and ACCAFT are trying to get the laws changed in Washington.
- We successfully lobbied the ACC Board to keep the "living wage" as Board policy, plus each year we support the set-aside that keeps 4% of the budget for employees raises.
- We are the only organization that represents all non-administrative employees: we represent Full-Time Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Classified staff, Professional laptop Technical staff & Hourly paid employees.
- We established an emergency fund for ACC Union members. Also, Union members can purchase disability insurance and several other forms of insurance at www.aftplus.org.
- We supported the Bond election in 2003 that enabled ACC to be on par with other CCs in the State, plus we have supported each expansion of the district. Our members were on the ground walking door-to-door, pounding signs into the ground, and working the polls.
- We interview & endorse candidates for the ACC Board of Trustees. The employee associations are not allowed to provide this function. We have influenced the direction of the Board to be more concerned with employee issues.
- You will receive “On Campus”, the AFT Higher Education magazine, plus the AFL-CIO newsletter and “American Educator” from AFT.
- New AFT members receive $10,000 of Life Insurance free for a year.
- All members receive $10,000 of AD&D Insurance.
- All members receive an $8,000,000 Occupational Liability policy (higher than any other association).
- Our dues are lower than most Unions in the country.
- New members receive three months free membership!!!
- More of our accomplishments are at www.accaft.org - plus, we have FUN together!!!!!!!